[X4U] Mac Pro fresh updates?

zapcat zapcat at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 16 13:53:30 PDT 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Once you start beefing a iMac up to Mac Pro levels of RAM, you
> might as well
> have gone with the Mac Pro.

Well, not to disrespect your experience, and as always "YMMV"
applies, but a current iMac right out of the box is plenty for most
print needs. There is an argument made that the Photoshop Pro
requires *the* very latest, most pimped-out rig available, but it
doesn't sound like the OP is doing high-end photoshop retouching.

Rather, he said something like "It'd be nice to have some extra-
muscle." To my mind, this does not bespeak a mission-critical need to
be on the absolute cutting edge.

and I hate to say it, but while using Photoshop, menu meters shows
only 1 of my 16 cores being utilitized most of the time.  I might see
little blips and spurts in the other cores, but for the most part,
Photoshop does *not* harness my Mac Pro to its potential.

Blame whoever you want for that, but for my dough, why spend $3K when
$1199 will git 'er done just fine?

zc