[X4U] Mac Friendly Video Cameras?

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Mar 25 09:36:35 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:22:36AM CDT, Joe Sporleder <joe at wacondatrader.com> wrote:

> Anything I should consider when purchasing a consumer level camcorder?
> I'm leaning towards the Canon and JVC models. I've checked Apple's
> iMovie 09 compatibility list of recorders they've tested with iMovie,
> however, I notice that the current models on display in area stores
> are a bit newer than the ones listed on Apple's list. I'm guessing new
> versions should work OK? For most stuff, I'd probably be able to use
> just QuickTime to clip and save just the section of video I want, and
> use iMovie to add some transitions and intros if I want to get a
> little more polish.

That sounds about right.  As for camcorders, just about anything with
Firewire will work.  But be sure that it supports your Mac recording
live feeds straight from the camcorder.  Some like the JVC GZ-HD3U uses
Firewire only to copy over video to a computer, not record a live feed.
A miniDV camcorder costs only a few hundred dollars (US).  You'll need
to spend more than twice that if you're looking into HD video.

> The primary editing machine will be my MacBook Pro. I've added extra
> memory and have a largest hard drive available from Apple. It is a 13"
> model that is hooked up to an external 24" WideScreen LCD when I'm in
> the office. It has the SD memory card slot, should I take that into
> consideration when choosing a camera? I'm running Snow Leopard.

I don't use memory cards when it comes to video.  It goes straight to my
Mac's hard drive, live.  :)

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/