[X4U] Error code -36

Charles Miles cmiles at amclasstyler.com
Wed Sep 29 13:43:44 PDT 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 12:55 PM, Allan Rube wrote:

> I am trying to copy files to a hard drive. I cannot copy some due to
> an error –36.
>
> The files copy fine from one internal drive to another but not to an
> external usb drive.
>
> I reformatted the drive – checked it with Disk Genius and got no
> errors.
>
> What is this error?
>
> Allan
> Nashua, New Hampshire
> allanrube.com
> www.nebirds.com

This is a general I/O error and most often happens when the data being
copied cannot be verified. More common when copying across networks or
the internet with a flakey connection, when copying from one drive to
another it indicates a bad drive, bad cable or corrupt file. I'd try
using a different (known good) usb cable, different external drive or
different interface. If you still have the error, see if the error
message mentions the file being copied when it occurs. If you can
identify the file, leave it out of your selection and try the copy
again. If it continues to happen, keep leaving out files until you get
a clean copy. Then you can go back and check the files left behind for
corruptions or other problems. Sometimes just copying these problem
files by themselves corrects the trouble.

Hope this helps

Charles Miles
Systems Administrator
American Classifieds of Tyler