[X4U] Anyone familiar with this scanner?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Aug 17 08:04:31 PDT 2011

Realistically for 35mm it's almost overkill, but you won't beat the
quality in a flatbed.  It's basically considered to be the best
flatbed scanner out there for film, and can handle 35mm, 120, 4x5 and
8x10 negatives.  It's also very well supported with 3rd party holders
from http://www.betterscanning.com/  If you want to scan 4x5" or
8x10" negatives (Large Format), they're basically the only game in
town.

Now for the downside...  It and the V700 are the last of the Epson
Scanners using the White Cold Cathode Florescent lamps, rather than
LED's.  Well technically the 4490 still does as well, but I'm not
sure why it's still around as newer models exist.

If you're only doing 35mm, you might look at the V500 or V600 models,
as they have LED lamps, and are a fraction of the price.

I still shoot a *LOT* of film, and I currently use a Nikon Coolscan
IV ED for 35mm, and an Epson 2450 for 120 and 4x5.  As I've yet to
get my 8x10 camera so it can shoot anything other than photo paper
(it's 110 years old and intended for dry glass plates), I'm still
able to use the 2450 (which only goes up to 4x5) for it.  My hope is
that Epson will *FINALLY* replace the V700/V750-M with a newer model
that has the LED lamp before I *NEED* a better flatbed.  I've also
recently started wet printing in the darkroom again, and bought a 4x5
enlarger a couple months ago.

Zane

At 12:57 PM +0200 8/17/11, Paul Moortgat wrote:
>It's an Epson Perfection V750-M Photo Flatbed Scanner
><http://www.adorama.com/IESV750M.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflAID021866>
>I wonder what the quality of scanned 35 mm slides is.
>
>Paul Moortgat

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |