[X4U] Why is my DVD Capacity so small?

John Erdman jperdman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 10:25:39 PST 2011

I'm trying to make a video DVD that I can play on my TV with my regular DVD player that is connected directly to the TV.

I've got my files ready to burn. I've never been able to get all the way thru the process. I run into problems in the burning process. It seems to be related to the amount of storage capacity on the new disk.  And it don't make no never mind whether I'm working in OS X or Bootcamp.

I'm using brand new Sony DVD+R disks. They're labelled as having 4.7 GB capacity and 1X-16X speeds. And when I try to burn the disks I get error messages that 1) the disks are already used (sometimes) and 2)That there is not enough space.

Despite the data included with the spindle of unused disks,  Bootcamp says that the amount of space available is 1.57GB, and in OSX  Info shows the available capacity is a whopping 3.32 GB.   Trouble is, I need at least 3.7GB to do this job of writing video files.

What's happening?  Does this mean that the 4.7GB is not really available.  What do I need to do to get this done?

Thanks

John
Stock 24" Core 2 Duo Intel iMac with Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-KO6
OS X 10.6.6