[X4U] No PowerPC Apps Will Run Under Lion!

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Feb 28 20:43:02 PST 2011

At 7:42 PM -0800 2/28/11, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>On Feb 28, 2011, at 9:03 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>If Eudora won't run on 10.7, then I can't run 10.7 until there is
>>an acceptable replacement.
>
>From my experience with Eudora users, there will never be a
>replacement that is entirely acceptable.  Eudora users will just
>have to make do with an alternative that if functional and which can
>do the things that are absolutely necessary.

Part of my problem is I've been on Eudora since '95, and using it on
the Mac since '96.  I have nearly 4GB of message archives, I don't
want to loose access to.   In addition to that I have a large list of
filters.  I average a couple hundred emails a day.  The filters sort
the messages out into different mailboxes, and something I find
invaluable is that it pops up a new window for each mailbox that has
messages hit it.  I have hit the 32k messages limit on various
mailboxes more times than I care to remember.

There is no software application I've used as much as Eudora.

>Top replacements for consideration:
>
>MailForge $20
>http://www.infinitydatasystems.com/mailforge/index.html
>
>Eudora OSE (FREE)
>https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE

These are the two main contenders.  I need to create a temporary
account and setup a test environment to see if one of these might
work for me.  Based on my requirements above, do you think either are
suited to me?

>Outlook (part of Microsoft Office)
>http://www.microsoft.com/mac/outlook

I'm positive that this won't cut it for me.  I know how bad it is on Windows.

>Apple's Mail with the addition of add-ons to increase its functionality.
>See:
>Mail Add-Ons
>http://www.hawkwings.net/plugins.htm

I have basically all accounts except this one going through mail.app,
and it can't handle the load.  I cratered it with just keeping an eye
on a couple System accounts on servers.

>I have a list of about 30 different e-mail applications for OS X, if
>you would like it.

I'd appreciate seeing it.

My other option is to think about running Eudora either via emulation
or on an older Mac.  I'm the guy that can't let go of ClarisDraw, so
that idea has a certain appeal.  Though I long to be able to have all
these non-plaintext emails displayed correctly.

On a semi-related note, I've been playing around with Dreamweaver CS5
the last couple days.  I'm warming up to it rather quickly, and am
almost willing to stop mourning the loss of Adobe PageMill &
SiteMill!  I never gave the version in CS3 much of a chance, and flat
out couldn't stand the various versions of GoLive I had.

Thanks,
Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |