[X4U] How can you diagnose a power supply problem?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Jan 13 23:58:58 PST 2011

On Nov 23, 2010, at 7:40 AM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> Could it be that the PS has enough juice to run the fans & light
> but not the HD or optical drive? I thought that when a PS went
> nothing wold work.

Power supplies are known for going bad in G5's, but usually they
result in a stone dead Mac.
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/powermacg5/topic4026.html

Try this.  (It is a cheap and easy thing to try.)  Replace the PRAM
battery with a brand new one.  Open your Mac first, and check to see
if there is a coin cell battery on the motherboard, or a 1/2AA.

Most G5's have a coin cell Lithium battery 922-6476.  There is one in:
     * Mac Mini ALL
     * iMac G5 ALL
     * Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) Single 2.0, Single 2.3, Dual 2.5
     * Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) (Single 1.8 Ghz) (600MHz System Bus)
     * Mac Pro Towers ALL

Almost all other modern Macs uses a 1/2AA lithium battery which you
can get for about $4 here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/BAA36VPRAM/

Coin Cell 3v Lithium -  922-6476, more commonly known as a:
Panasonic CR2032

Available for $5 from any Radio Shack
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3882052

You can get one for even less in the jewelry department of any WalMart.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html