[X4U] Seagate 1 TB hard drive issue not loading on desktop...

LAL lazilicata at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 02:22:55 PST 2011

Have a new, out of the box seagate 1 TB external USB hard drive (with
a mini USB connector on the drive itself)
Per Seagate, the package says:
Software / System Requirements OS Required Apple MacOS X 10.4.8 or
later, Microsoft Windows Vista / XP
Manufacturer Part# : ST910004EXA101-RK

Plugged it into a G4 17" mac running 10.5.8 (all system software up-to-
date) and the light on the hard drive comes on.
Does not mount on desktop.
Opened disk utilities. Not there.
Restart G4 from a pristine 10.5.8 loaded on another external hard
drive (FW 800) and still the seagate drive does not load on desktop.
Go to wife's machine (PPC G3, 10.4.11, all software up-to-date) and
plug it in.
Shows up on her desktop.
Reformat it for Mac extended journal and attach it to G4.
Not on desktop.
Repair it using Disk Utilities on G3, (showed no problems) attach it
to G4. Not on desktop.
Put it back on G3, and remotely connect (share) the G4 to the G3 and I
can see it on the G4
Run Diskwarrier on the drive from the G3, and then bring it over to
the G4.
Still not on desktop.
I am plum out of ideas....
Went to seagate's web site and they are of little help
Suggestions on how to get it to load onto my G4's desktop??