[X4U] Seagate 1 TB hard drive issue not loading on desktop...

Kirk McElhearn kirkmc at mac.com
Sat Jan 15 02:52:00 PST 2011

On Jan 15, 2011, at 11:45 AM, LAL wrote:

> Kirk (Kirk McElhearn <kirkmc at mac.com>) (Thanks Kirk) suggested that maybe my USB ports were not powered.
> So, i tried both. Still not mounting.
> I also tried another USB to micro USB cable
> I can use either USB port to sync my ipods ((a nano and a classic) and also to power a head set when I talk on skype.
> So, my thinking is that both USBs are powered...

Well, headsets don't need to be powered (at least not as much as hard drives). Do the iPods charge or just sync? If they're older generation models, they can use either port.

I know there were issues with certain Macs not having the same power on all ports. But if you try both, that suggests that it's not a problem (unless neither of them have enough power). The fact that the disk works on another Mac suggests that it's not a problem with the disk; hence, the only possibility is the USB ports on the first Mac.

Kirk

*Author of Take Control of iTunes 10: The FAQ*
http://www.mcelhearn.com/itunes
Twitter: @mcelhearn