[X4U] converting to Plain text and apostrophes

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Jan 21 18:26:25 PST 2011

On Jan 21, 2011, at 10:28 AM, cat soul wrote:

> I have a text version of my resume converted from RTF to Plain Text
> using OS X's Text Edit application.
>
> I notice that in the plain text file, I have bunch of ’s  where
> there had been apostrophes.
>
> Why does this happen, and is there a way to prevent it? If not, I
> guess I'm stuck doing search and replace...no big deal but it'd be
> nice to avoid the problem in the first place.

The solution is to use a real text editor.  Text Edit is more of an
ultra-lightweight word processor.

I use:

Tex-Edit Plus ($15)
http://www.tex-edit.com/
...because of it's ability to clean up text from the Internet with
one keystroke.

But if you want something free, you might prefer:

TextWrangler (free)
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance