[X4U] Nikon Coolscan V (was: X4U Digest, Vol 75, Issue 23)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 30 10:34:00 PST 2011

At 10:22 AM -0800 1/30/11, Ken Schneider wrote:
>On Jan 30, 2011, at 9:45 AM, x4u-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
>
>>  I've barely used VueScan with the 2450, but have scanned a lot of 35mm
>>  using the Nikon Coolscan IV ED and VueScan.  I highly recommend it,
>>  you can download a fully functional demo, that puts watermarks on
>>  your scans and give it a try if you want.
>
>I just picked up a Nikon Coolscan V from eBay and downloaded
>VueScan. What tips can you tell me for scanning slides and negatives
>with this combination?

Which adapters do you have?  I have the adapter that lets me do
strips of film, and the one for slides.  Slides are a piece of cake,
I usually just do a basic scan using light cleaning and maybe light
grain reduction.  Negatives can be a lot tricker.  If you're doing
colour, you'll have ICE, but if you're shooting B&W you won't.
Depending on what film you're shooting VueScan might have a profile
for your film.

Colour negatives are where I've had to monkey around with the
settings under the 'color' panel the most in order to get a good
scan.  In the Filter Panel the "Restore colors" and "restore fading"
can be surprisingly useful on occasion.

The main thing is to get in and play around, see what works best for you.

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |