[X4U] Scanning slides

William Morse whm.lists at verizon.net
Mon Jan 31 09:24:45 PST 2011

Hi Winston-

In general, you are almost always better off doing as little adjustments as possible in the scanner software. The reason is simple. The scanner reads the image in 8, 12, or 16 bits, depending on your settings. This almost always gives you an image that needs ajdusting. Each time you adjust, whether in the scanner software or image editing software, you degrade the image a little bit. So you are always better off doing the adjustments with an adjustment layer that you can change later, if needed, without further degrading the image. Why make the change in scanner software, where you are locked into it?

Please note-  I am talking about maximizing image quality here. There may be occasions where doing it in scanner software is faster, and the goal is maximizing time effieciency. That, of course, is another matter!

Best,

Bill Morse

Wm. Morse Editions
450 Harrison Ave. Studio 227