[X4U] printing from an iPad

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Mon Jul 25 10:59:29 PDT 2011

On 7/25/11 at 4:50 PM, list at kapellos.com transmitted the
following electronic message:

>hi
>
>i bought an iPad today?
>
>what are my options for printing from it? i have a wifi network, a wifi
>all-in-one printer (canon MP620) and an iMac running 10.6.8
>
>i've looked at some of the software available but it looks all a bit
>complicated. any suggestions for a hassle-free solution?
>
>thanks! alexandre

There are a couple of answers to that...

The official line is that you need an AirPrint-capable printer,
which is still a small subset of Hewlett-Packard's inkjets and
nothing from any other vendor.

However, there is a freeware (donationware) utility for your
iMac called "AirPrint Activator 2.0" that will make any shared
printers on your network available for AirPrint (this is the
solution we use with our Canon and Epson printers). The one
glitch we've found with this is if any of the Macs on your
network are running the software firewall, the printouts don't
make it through. Since our router provides the firewall, this
isn't an issue for us and we keep it turned off on our Macs.

--
Dennis R. Cohen
co-author: The iPad Projects Book/The iPad 2 Projects Book