[X4U] Any low to mid range Firewire Camcorders?

Nick Scalise nscalise at gmail.com
Fri May 13 14:55:45 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Joe Sporleder <joe at wacondatrader.com> wrote:
> I've been given a task of live streaming a sports game via a high speed wireless Internet from my ISP, using my MacBook Pro, and ustream.tv. I've been told that I need a firewire capable video camera to do this, because USB isn't fast enough, but so far my Google searches, I am having trouble finding current mid-range or so video cameras that use a firewire connection. It looks like on has to go back a few years to find Firewire cameras more common. Probably my best speed up on the broadband connection is 2Mbps.
>
> I also want to use my local radio station as the audio part of the stream since they are providing live coverage of the event. This project is on their behalf.

Anything that records to MiniDV tape will be firewire.

Canon has the ZR960 for $300 MSRP.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/zr960

Or you can step up to HDV and get the HV40 for $1000 MSRP.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hv40

If you want to go Prosumer, Canon has the XH A1S for $4000 MSRP.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/professional_camcorders/xh_a1s

Sony has the HVR-Z5U for $5000 MSRP ($4k at B&H).

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-HVRZ5U/

I'm sure that other cam companies still have one or two models of
MiniDV camcorders on their list. But if not, Canon has your back.

If you want pro sounding audio, you will want to be sure you get a cam
with Mic In. XLR preferred, but 1/8" mini-jack will do.
--
Nick Scalise
nscalise at gmail.com