[X4U] pdf

Joe Tinney jtinney at lastar.com
Wed Oct 19 13:47:29 PDT 2011

This is common when PDFs were scanned in or saved as whole images and not created from or as text. Essentially, there is nothing to highlight as it is a single image to the PDF reader.

For instance, if you were to use a PDF printer (like Adobe Acrobat's) to print a text document you should be able to highlight that text. However, if you were to use a scanner and save a scanned image as PDF (without using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software) you'd find that you would be unable to highlight the text - as there isn't actually any digital text there - only analog text.

I hope I've explained it clearly.

Regards,
Joe Tinney