[X4U] Flashback Followup

Shawn King shawn at yourmaclifeshow.com
Mon Apr 9 11:28:21 PDT 2012

On Apr 9, 2012, at 11:15 AM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> With all due respect to everyone, my "marketing detector alarm" went off when I read the number "600,000".  I'd like to know how they came up with that.

"Doctor Web’s researchers were able to “sinkhole” part of the Flashback botnet—hijack some of the domains used to issue commands to infected computers—and calculated the size of the botnet by counting the UUIDs (universally unique identifiers) presented by OS X to the controlling servers."
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166255/security_experts_600_000_plus_estimate_of_mac_botnet_likely_on_target.html>

But, to be honest, "how many" is a red herring. It's really immaterial to the actual issue.
--
Shawn King
Host/Executive Producer