[X4U] Transfer, sync Address book data?

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Sat Apr 14 04:46:19 PDT 2012

On 2012 Apr 13, at 17:51, Bill Fox wrote:

> Right. And iCloud with 4 devices has given me 4 identical entries for every contact in Address Book. iCal and Safari bookmarks works well but not Address Book.

LOL!!  That's not what people using iCloud to sync Safari bookmarks are saying.  Search for this: "thousands of duplicate bookmarks iCloud"

> Anybody know how to remove extras in multiple entries with going one by one and deleting them?

Use a solution similar to what people have done with bookmarks.

• Export all to a text file or something
• Delete all contacts from all devices while disabling syncing
• Use some tool to delete duplicates in the text file.  BBEdit can do that.
• Re-enable syncing
• Verify that all contacts are gone
• Import your cleaned-up contacts

Or go to an Apple Store and lean on your local genius.  Apple has probably seen enough of these cases by now to have figured out a treatment plan.