[X4U] alternatives for iSight camera?

John McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 16 16:30:50 PDT 2012

I didn't follow the thread, so apologies if this was mentioned.
Before web cams became more commonplace, with my MacMini I used my Firewire camcorder on "record", without a cassette installed. New device purchases did not fit into my budget at the time, so I used what I had available.
Worked just fine.
YMMV
John

On Apr 16, 2012, at 4:46 PM, Linda Weidemann wrote:

On 4/16/12 1:38 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:
> Be careful if you plan to use the built-in microphone.  Many USB microphones do not play well with Macs that have Intel Core 2 Duo processors, and maybe other processors; I don't know.  Typically, they sound OK for a minute or so, except for occasional clicks.  Then you get more clicks, which start to modulate the sound, until it becomes unintelligible for a while.
>
> My A4Tech in particular has this problem and A4Tech tech support did not answer my email.

My USB AT2020 has been flawless for two years' worth of podcasts -- no clicking whatsoever.

But the I think the OP's question was about cameras for the mini, since it has no camera. I'm curious about this too, as I'm using my old Firewire 400 iSight with an 800>400 adapter to run the iSight -- and I would really like something different, as I'm also using the FW400 with a Griffin iFire to run my G4 baseball speakers on my mini. :-)

~Linda