[X4U] LG

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Mon Aug 6 11:26:05 PDT 2012

Paul:

My guess is that Samsung has acquired some LG brand, for example for TV production.

I would be **VERY** surprised if Samsung acquired the whole LG company.

Both Samsung and LG are very large Korean "chaebol" (Japanese equivalent is "zaibatsu").  A "chaebol" is a tightly managed group of companies that do a lot of business with each other. (We would call them "cartels".) LG makes petrochemicals and refrigerators as well as all sorts of electronic stuff:  TVs, cellphones, computers, etc.

The largest "chaebol" in South Korea is Samsung; the second largest is LG.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Corp
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung

Cheers!

earle