[X4U] Printopia for iPad

Jerry Weldon jerryw at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 30 16:36:21 PDT 2012

I use Printopia and it works fine. My situation is similar; I have an
HP printer directly connected to Ethernet, a Mac Pro running 10.6.8
also connected to the network via Ethernet, and an iPad and iPhone
connected to the same network via an AirPort Extreme.

The Mac and iOS device do need to be on the same network in order to
see each other, as the AirPrint protocol uses Bonjour. See "Anything
else?" on <http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/faq.html>. The Mac does
not have to have wireless capability itself (it's turned off on mine).

You said all the printers are shown in the preference pane. Are the
checkboxes next to them checked? Mine are not all checked, but I
don't remember if the initlal default is checked or not.

Is your AirPort Express set up for guest networking? If so, make sure
the iPad is connecting to your primary network and not the guest
network; otherwise, it will not be able to see the Mac.

- Jerry