[X4U] New Computer.....

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Feb 11 12:22:17 PST 2012

On 2/11/12,  LAL <lalicata at alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

> I am FINALLY biting the bullet and on Monday, ! am getting a new 15"
> Pro notebook.
>
> (Upgrading from a 17" G4 so this is a titanic leap)
>
> I have heard that there are no more discs that come with the computer
> and that installation of a virgin LION system software requires a
> visit to the app store. (But if one can't do that, then........????)

Lot's of FUD in that statement.

First, the new machine comes with the OS installed. Whether there are otherapps
included, check at
<http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro>. There's no
need to visit  an Apple store. Reinstalling and updating are covered:

<http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/>and
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718>

> I know I can back up the software to a hard drive, but I cannot do
> that until after I go thru the initial startup sequence....

Before doing anything, peruse Pondini's Setup New Mac guide at
<http://www.pondini.org/OSX/Setup.html">. Above all, do the migration on first
boot.

> Or can I????? (cannot tell U how many times needed to reinstall
>systemsoftware on the G4....)
>
> And, since this is as factory fresh as one can get, what is the
> collective wisdom of this group as to what are the first things I
> should do to maximize the probability of this one operating as designed....

All covered above.