[X4U] X4U Digest, Vol 88, Issue 16

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Fri Feb 24 11:32:17 PST 2012

On 2/22/12 at 9:35 AM, Crandon David <tabdave at ca.rr.com>
transmitted the following electronic message:

>OK, so I want to buy a book to read about both Lion and Windows
>7 (I just installed that via Boot Camp).
>
>I've been using Macs for about 15 yrs, but not for work, just for fun.
>I do love to read.
>
>I'm looking for something one or two steps above the basic
>level. I'd like the book to be most about the OS's themselves,
>with some sections about the built in programs as well if possible.
>
>Below I've compiled a list of possibilities, what are
>everybody's recommendations?
>
>Thanks all!
>
>OSX Lion for Dummies
>
>Missing Manual
>
>Teach Yourself Visually Lion
>
>OS X Lion Bible
>
>The Complete Idiots Guide

The one you left off, the OS X Lion All-in-One for Dummies (Mark
Chambers) or the Missing Manual are the ones most likely to
match your stated prerequisites. Levitus's "For Dummies" title
goes into more detail on the items covered, but doesn't cover
quite as much. TYV is an excellent introductory title, but is
pretty basic. The Bible has a lot of detail and goes deeper in
various areas, but is geared more toward reference than reading.
I've only glanced at the Idiot's Guide, but it seems pretty
basic...about at the level of the TYV.

Full disclosure:
I am the Tech Editor of the Dummies, Dummies All-in-One, and TYV
titles as well as earlier editions of the Missing Manual (when
Pogue was still authoring it) and coauthored some of the earlier
editions of the Bible title.

--
Dennis Cohen