[X4U] MacBook models to look for Used?

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Sun Feb 26 16:05:56 PST 2012

On Feb 26, 2012, at 6:45 PM, catsoul wrote:

> I'm in the market for a used/pre-owned MacBook.  MacBook Pro would be nice, but my ceiling is $500, so…more likely to find a MacBook at that price or less.
>
> What models of these machines are the ones to look for?  Am I right to want 2009 or later?
>
> are 2007s simply too old from the standpoint of hardware, supported protocols, where OS X is now and where it will be?
>
> Is the 2008 Mac Book the one to get?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts on this.
>
> Cat

Cat: my advice would be to look at the portable models that Mountain Lion, the newest OS, will support -- for the 13" aluminum MacBooks, that means 2008 and later, and for the MacBookPro, 13" from 2009 and later, and for the 15" and 17", late 2007 and later.

This suggests that you might be able to get away with a slightly older MacBookPro, but that 2007 MacBooks would not be a good choice.

The sweet spot is probably 2009 models.

Stay away from the early MacBook Airs.

The rule of thumb I use with used portables is that three years old is good value and five years old is ancient technology.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Carruthers Communications           Tel: 520-625-1913
292 N. Camino del Vate, Green Valley, AZ 85614
www.carruthers.com                  e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com