[X4U] Any comment about this?

catsoul catsoul at thinkplan.org
Fri Jan 6 12:44:36 PST 2012

List, I must apologize for some dumb typing mistakes I made in my previous post…corrected version below:

1. Make a user other than your regular, every-day user. Give this new User Admin powers. You do this when you create the new user..the options are Administrator, Standard and one or two others I don't recall offhand.

2. Give this new Administrator user a robust password. An alpha-numeric mix of lower case and capitals, somewhere north of 13 characters. No words or name, else you'll be vulnerable to what's called a "Dictionary attack."

yeah. it'll be a pain at first.

3. now click on your current, everyday user, and un-check the box that says "Allow user to administer this computer."

4. I advise you to give your everyday user, now demoted from Admin to Standard,  a new password. Might be overkill, but this is the internet we're talkin' here

5. I believe that you will receive a message telling you to restart for the changes you just made to take effect.

That's it. Just make sure you carefully write down what your new passwords are. I never let the computer pick them for me, nor do I store my computer passwords ON the computer.

Happy sailing!

cat