[X4U] Can my iMac handle OS 10.7?

Nick Scalise nscalise at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:28:50 PST 2012

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. The statement where I said 4gb may not be enough or where I said it was definitely not enough for me.

Just for the record, when i experience slow downs, the apps I have open are: Photoshop CS3, Extensis Portfolio, Entourage 2008, NetNewsWire, Safari, Adium, BBEdit, and occasionally word and excel. However word and excel are not required to be open to experience slowdowns. Notice final cut is not on that list. So 'heavy duty video' is not the issue.

Again, with 4gb RAM, my new "late 2011 unibody quad core i7" is slower at times than my old core 2 duo. The only differences between the two machines is processors and OS.

Now I will grant you that an SSD would eliminate some of the lag from paging. But my point was not about the benefits of an SSD. My point was about the benefits of more RAM.

Oh the old Mac has a 7200 rpm drive and the new one 5400 rpm. I can't believe 1800 rpm makes that much of a difference.

I place the blame on Lion. With all the behind the scenes stuff it has going on, it has less room and resources for other apps, thus the need for more RAM.