[X4U] Lion woes..just me?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 26 05:53:59 PST 2012

On Jan 24, 2012, at 2:00 PM, x4u-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:45:06 -0800
> From: catsoul <catsoul at thinkplan.org>
> To: "A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
> 	<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
> Subject: [X4U] Lion woes..just me?
>
> I couldn't wait..I downloaded Lion the day it became available and thought that what was new in Lion was mostly pretty good..
>
> but Lion for me isn't acting very well and it seems to center around mission control and window refreshing. Specifically, apps "forget" which desktop I've assigned them to, Apple apps and 3rd party alike!
>
> Some apps like Illustrator CS5 and Photoshop Elements 9, often lose the menu bar on their little palettes. Hitting tab once and again clears this.
>
> Sometimes?often, actually, when I click on an item which is not in front, either app or finder window, the thing I click on does NOT come to the front, even if I click a 2nd, 3rd..sometimes 4th time!
>
> and I'm getting some weird refresh issues in apps at times, like text wrangler..if I have several documents open, it will indicate that I am in one document, yet will SHOW me the code in another!
>
> there are probably others but these are the beauts that come to mind. Anyone else? This is the first time in  20 years I've had  such lousy luck with a new release of Mac OS, either OS X or pre-OS X. None of them are perfect, but this one has some real hum-dingers.
>
> Others having these woes or just me?  I'm prepping another disc partition so that I can go back to Snow Leopard..will keep Lion in the event they fix these things, but it's a torpedo to my workflow..
>
> thanks!
>
> cat

Howdy,

Certainly not just you! I not only occasionally have windows that won't activate when clicked but the same thing with files. I have also copied, moved, saved or downloaded files to the Desktop and then end up with a file that has no icon. Also, about 90% of the time, when I mount an external drive with multiple partitions at least one of the Drive Icons is displayed with the default HD icon instead of its correct icon; even happens with flash drives with a single partition or FW HDs.

I believe that there are some real problems with Finder. Keep hoping the next update to Lion will fix things.

Some things have become better with 10.7.2 over earlier versions. I used to have windows change arrangement, size and state of the sidebar and toolbar (I often have these turned off) randomly. This seems to happen much more rarely now.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)