[X4U] Fix a slow Mac with Activity Monitor

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Jun 11 08:46:18 PDT 2012

At 5:05 PM +0200 6/11/12, Paul Moortgat wrote:
><http://www.macworld.com/article/1167116/fix_a_slow_mac_with_activity_monitor.html#lsrc.nl_mwweek_h_cbstories>

I always have Activity Monitor running, and the dock icon is set to
show "Memory Usage".  I'm running 10.6.8, and with Bridge CS6,
Photoshop Extended CS5, Lightroom 3, Capture One 6, and a few small
apps memory on my 8-core late-2010 Mac Pro is very tight, in spite of
the fact I have 24Gb of RAM.  Photoshop CS6 has a bad habit of
growing its memory footprint until it chokes the system to death (I'm
told Lightroom 4 has the same problem, but haven't felt the need to
upgrade to it).

The result is that I can't live without Activity Monitor, and depend
on it to give me the information I need to keep my system functioning.

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |