[X4U] .Mac/Mobile Me vs. iCloud

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Wed Mar 14 11:52:35 PDT 2012

On Mar 14, 2012, at 2:13 PM,3/14, Winston MacKelvie wrote:
> Can one use a Mac as a server and as a working computer? (iMac Intel 2007).
>
> If yes is there a down side? And if no, can my iWeb web pages be uploaded to any regular server?

Sure; your Mac can serve your iWeb pages (or any other pages you might have) at the same time you're using it for other work. You'll have to configure your router to forward http requests to your Mac, set up a domain and DNS forwarding so that requests to http://winstonMacKelvie.com get directed to your home IP and all the associated network stuff but it's all doable.

I would hesitate to expose my normal, everyday working Mac to the internet like that though; a machine that is running limited number of applications and is set up securely would be a far better internet exposed server than your daily driver.

Your iWeb pages can be uploaded to a multitude of services that provide hosting. Most hosting services use WordPress or some hosting package so that you can use their easy build templates, etc; but you can always ftp your entire web site to the httpdocuments directory on their server after you set up your hosting account. You'll still need a domain and DNS forwarding to get it to work unless you're happy with a url like mackelvie.somehostingservice.com.

There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil