[X4U] Scan negatives

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Mar 25 10:23:17 PDT 2012

I'm using Vuescan with a Nikon Coolscan IV ED, it applies.  One
question is, do you have the film strip attachment, or are you
feeding the film manually Paul?  I typically scan strips of 4-5 shots
while doing other stuff.  Also, what flatbed did you try?

I've also been known to use the scanner as a way to preview working
on stuff in the darkroom! :-)

Though Vuescan and the Nikon scanner can also rescue stuff that would
be largely lost, especially when scanning as a DNG (RAW file).  Note
to self, don't develop Adox CHS 50 in Rodinal 1:100...  You wouldn't
believe what a nightmare these were to scan, and I'm pretty sure I
can't get a decent print off of them in the Darkroom.  Though once it
warms up a little more I really need to try (the darkroom is in the
garage and unheated).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zanes-photography/5802667138/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zanes-photography/5807351002/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zanes-photography/5806788167/

There is one bad thing I've found about scanning "RAW" in Vuescan,
the resulting DNG files aren't readable by all software.  While I
have no problem with them in Adobe Photoshop, or Adobe Lightroom,
they can't be read in Phase One's Capture One software. :-(

Zane

At 12:50 PM -0400 3/25/12, Ken Johnson wrote:
>Oh, but it isn't a flat bed - its a slide/negative scanner, so,
>maybe doesn't apply...
>
>Ken
>
>On Mar 25, 2012, at 12:12 PM, Ken Johnson <kenjohnso at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Are you using vuescan?  On mine, I get a "quick-look" or pre-scan,
>and I can use that to get an idea of pic quality before going much
>farther.
>
>In addition, I can preview up to 6 (I think) negs at a time, using
>the carrier.
>
>Ken
>
>On Mar 25, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Paul Moortgat <paul.moortgat at pandora.be> wrote:
>
>I tried that with my flatbed scanner.  Not so successful.
>Therefor my question.  It takes around 4 minutes to scan one negative.
>
>Paul Moortgat
>
>On 25 Mar 2012, at 16:11, Nick Scalise wrote:
>
>>  Why not create a digital contact print?
>>
>>  Scan a group of negatives on a standard flatbed scanner. Reverse
>>them in your photo editor, and them you can choose which ones you
>>want to Saxon with the Nikon.
>>

>>  Thanks,
>>
>>  Sent from my iPhone.
>>  --
>>  Nick Scalise
>>
>>  On Mar 25, 2012, at 9:00 AM, Paul Moortgat <paul.moortgat at pandora.be> wrote:
>>
>>>  I've a Nikon Coolscan IV ED to scan my B&W negatives from 40 year ago.
>>>  But I've problems to determine if it's worth to scan or not just
>>>by seeing at it.
>>>  Isn't there a device to see the negatives in the positive way?
>>>  I can't make contact prints because I stopped developing them years ago.
>>>  It takes such a long time to scan a negative.  Then I know if
>>>it's OK or not.
>>>  Was it moved or out of focus?
>>>
>>>  Paul Moortgat

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |