[X4U] WD passort ext drive

Cat catsoul at thinkplan.org
Sun Mar 25 15:42:01 PDT 2012

I myself am done with consumer externals. For one thing, they seem to lack fans, to a one, and those things get HOT under normal use. Heat has long been known as the enemy of electronics, along with water, and physical punishment.

I've had much better luck with internal drives, and in fact, only one has ever failed on me: in a brand-new Dual G4 tower, right after I bought it, and Apple sent a tech to my studio to replace it.

I have two Hitachi Jupiters in my Mac Pro that are heading into their 3rd year. I am planning on getting more, one of which will be in a case for use with my Mac Book Pro. Those drives have been rock-solid performers.

After comparing notes with others, the consensus that the best move to make for getting a reliable external, is to buy a case with a fan and put in a real, internal drive. Those Hitachis seem to be good drives, and for a few extra bucks you can get the "enterprise" version which offers a 2-years longer warranty. The ones I have came with a 3-year.

Also, talking with friends, seems that drive quality has gone down over the years...I've also had bad luck with Maxtor consumer externals and Seagate "Pro" externals...all fan-free, all from costco, and all either returned or about to be.

cat