[X4U] Evaluating Used Mac Prices

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue May 1 10:40:52 PDT 2012

At 10:14 AM -0700 5/1/12, catsoul wrote:
>I'm considering selling my 8-core, 2.26 ghz 2009 "Nehalem" Mac Pro.
>Oon Apple's refurb site either they're faster or have fewer cores.
>Not sure if an 8 core 2.26ghz is better than a 4-core 2.66ghz on the
>marketplace.
>
>any thoughts? I know, price is determined by what people will pay,
>but I'm trying to arrive at a good starting point that makes sense
>compared to other similar offerings.
>
>Thank you!
>
>cat

What does your CPU load look like?  Do you have cores that stay
pegged for a serious amount of time?  If so you'd likely see at least
some benefit.  How much RAM do you currently have?  Your 8-core is a
dual CPU, while the 4-core is a single CPU, so you'd loose RAM slots.
Plus if you don't have much RAM right now you might see a significant
increase by simply upgrading your RAM.  My late-2010 8-core came with
6GB, and it was slower than my Rev.0 G5 dual 2GHz PowerMac.  Once I
upgraded to 24GB of RAM it was nice and fast.

There are a lot of factors in play, so without more data it's hard to
say if an upgrade is worth while.

Are you looking at the fact your Applecare is either dead, or about
to die?  If this is the case, I'd recommend simply banking the money
for an upgrade when the existing system dies.

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |