[X4U] Mac Windows compatability

Roy v.d. Westhuizen roy at ion.co.za
Wed Sep 26 02:52:23 PDT 2012

Only running Mac, I have never had to run a Mac in an office where they have to network with Windows machine. Now a friend, long a Mac user who is now working with a small publisher has said he will have to buy a Windows laptop of his own otherwise he will not be able to have articles he prepares, in Indesign/Illustrator and so forth, work on the publishers computer as it is windows. I said I have heard of many instances where people co-exist in cross platform environments. He cited an example of where fonts would not be able to be used unless they were Open Type. Is this valid? Where can I get more information on how Macs and Windows co-exist in a network setting? He is elderly with failing sight and I have also mentioned the advantage of getting a laptop with retina display.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Roy v.d. Westhuizen
roy at digitalphotoworld.co.za