[X4U] Format a 4TB Seagate drive

Frank Dutra fdutra1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 02:42:28 PST 2013

>A friend on visit in the US bought a 4TB Seagate drive
><http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_4tb_barracuda_xt_first_thoughts_review>
>On his Power Mac (10.5.8) it will only format or show 1.64 TB.  On
>his Powerbook (10.7) it will show 1.8 TB.
>Does this mean he can't use the full 4TB?

Having the same problem with a WD 3tb on a Mystic running Tiger,
behind a Seritek 1S2 SATAI PCI card, which is likely the stumbling
block on my system. WD claims it will work, Disk Utility sees the
full 3 tb,  but no luck. You may want to try throttling down the
drive speed with a jumper (check with Seagate) or partition the drive
in GUID, which has boot issues. Neither option worked for me. I'm
considering formatting with a newer machine which may not work due to
speed issues with the newer SATA III standards.
--
Frank Dutra

PO Box 3402
Nantucket MA  02584