[X4U] iMac 10.5.8

J McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 20 19:19:02 PST 2013

Hmm...
I hate to bring this up, but you might be facing a hard drive failure. Although, the dreaded flashing question mark usually shows when the HD is failing and you said you just had the gray apple on the white screen, not the question mark.

When you get the disc from Apple and try to install it, if the name of your hard drive does not show up as the destination for the install, then I think your HD is toast.

If it does show as an option for the install, you'll be fine.
Since you have that recent Time Machine backup, you should be okay doing an erase and install.
Good luck.
John