[X4U] iMac 10.5.8

J McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 20 20:08:15 PST 2013

Al,
Good advice from Randy Singer.
Tech Tool Pro would be another alternative.
Cheers,
John

On Jan 20, 2013, at 10:52 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
On Jan 20, 2013, at 2:13 PM, Al Grappone wrote:

> Now I get a white screen with apple gray icon. Also a strange whirling sound . Noise continues but still the white screen. Thanks.

The white screen means that your Mac is doing diagnostics on your hard drive.  You should allow it to run uninterrupted.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7045

If that doesn't fix things you might want to try doing a boot into Safe Mode by holding down the Shift key on restart.  This will cause your Mac to run fsck in the background and repair the hard drive, if possible.

Or you can boot using a system installer disk and run Disk Utility to repair your hard drive, or, if you have it, you can boot from a Disk Warrior disk and use it to repair your hard drive.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html