[X4U] iMac 10.5.8

H F pantry at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:36:49 PST 2013

FWIW I have a powerbook G4 with 10.4.11 and it recently demonstrated
symptoms of a failing hard drive. Took it to my local users group triage
where the two top techie wonks couldn't get it to boot. Gave it to one of
them for him to look at it and the only problem he could find was a battery
that while fully charged was only 30% of it's AH rating. Strangely enough
it started up for him, he cloned my HD and brought it back to me and I ran
Applejack. AJ went thru about four iterations of fixing something and now
the PB works, although I'm not using it. Tried it today and it wouldn't
open Safari, but would open other apps.

So I'd suggest checking your battery (the advice I got was to not keep it
plugged into the power supply and to occassionally just shut it down)