[X4U] Apple sans Jobs comments

David Ledger david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
Sun Oct 6 05:39:12 PDT 2013

At 12:39 -0700 5/10/13, Cat wrote:
>Wondering what people think about commentary about Apple without Steve Jobs...
>things like, "Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs" and other "discoveries"
>like this meant to suggest that Apple is doomed to coast on the
>fumes of Jobs's legacy until it withers and fades.
>In some commentaries, Google/android are cited as the real innovators.
>How much of this is substance, and how much is marketing spin?
>thoughts?
>
>cat

I think Apple are still innovating but with some initial direction
from Steve Jobs' ideas and way of doing things. Unfortunately I've
yet to see any positive post-Jobs innovations. The "make OS X and iOS
work the same" idea is a Jobs idea, and in my opinion one of the
worst Apple ever had. The details of the way that idea is implemented
are post-Jobs and from the reactions I read are poor. I only have a
SIMless hand-me-down iPhone 3 so I can't judge myself.

Google have been innovators in the search engine sphere, but Android
(I've seen them in shops) is just a patent avoiding poor attempt to
provide the functionality of iOS; just like Windows 3 was a patent
avoiding poor attempt to provide the functionality of MacOS.

Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs just as no person can be another. Remember
that we use the Mac because Jobs had insight and Woz has technical
expertise not because Apple made good products and happened to be
started, and later run, by someone with good ideas. Jobs was key to
Apple and the chance of them (or any other company) getting a
replacement with the same insight is minute. This doesn't mean that
Apple can't still innovate, but that their advantage over the
competition is reduced. They still have a lot of expertise that can
innovate. In Jobs' latter days he selected the good ideas of others
at Apple and directed them so that they were in tune with his ideals.
Those good ideas will continue to be produced. It's now up to Apple,
not just Tim Cook, to do the directing and tuning. No other company
has this long history of cultivating innovation among the ranks.

I'm no blind worshipper of Steve Jobs. I regard a lot of changes he
made in his last ten years as undesireable (like the replacement of
some Unix techniques and the OS X - iOS merge). What I really deplore
is using software changes to force hardware sales. He started that
and it's being continued. If I were ever in the market for a Tablet
or a Smartphone I would buy second best rather than Apple simply
because of that.

One company that constantly claims to innovate is M$. The only actual
innovation that I can see that they've made is the three fingered
salute - and that is only an admission that the software is faulty
and needs a recovery method. When the systems I used and managed had
that sort of problem there would be a full post-mortem to discover
and correct the fault, not just say 'oh well Š' and reboot.

David - computers since '69, Unix since '83, Mac user since '86, Mac
owner since '92.

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk