[X4U] Apple Software changes to drive hardware sales

Cat catsoul at thinkplan.org
Mon Oct 7 11:16:09 PDT 2013

On 10/7/13 10:35 AM, David Ledger wrote:
> That would be, but buying second best because a company policy
> severely limits the fully effective working life of the best is not.

More power to you, David, but I think that Shawn's point is universal:
*ALL* companies do this sort of thing. However, I can personally attest
to never having had a piece of Apple gear die on me. I have a 1999
Pismo, and two 2005 G4 Mac Minis that all work perfectly; other Macs
I've had I sold in perfect working order. Contrast this to other manuf's
gear that barely makes it out of warranty without a major malfunction..

However, I am sympathetic with your point and I detest the obsoleting of
gear simply to drive sales. If you can somehow stop the millions who
can't wait to buy the latest thing, that dynamic might change.

cat