[X4U] Good easy to use cross platform FTP client

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Sep 23 22:23:54 PDT 2013

On Sep 23, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Crandon David wrote:

> What would be the most efficient way over the internet to do this?
>
> We both have high speed connections. The files are multiples between 4-25 gigs in size.
>
> I know there are some pay services that do it. I think it could be Googles cloud service, but that would be pay also, correct?
>
> Would an old fashioned FTP service be easy? What do you guys think?

That many gigs of data would likely take *days* to transfer, even over a fast internet connection.

And most file sharing services, like Dropbox, even the ones that advertise that they are for "large" files, top out at 10 to 20GB per file they allow you to send.

The easiest thing to do would be to put the data on one or more cheap USB flash drives and send it (or them) to your friend via postal mail.

Here's a 32GB USB flash drive for only $16:
http://www.amazon.com/Centon-DataStick-Flash-Drive-DSP32GB-001/dp/B001QFYCU2/

However, if you really want to send the files via the Internet, this service uses peer to peer technology, your browser for an interface, it is dead simple and it is completely free.  To use it, you must have Java installed and enabled on the sending computer.
http://fileai.com/

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html