[X4U] APC power backup units for a 27.5 iMac

john dach john at mlce.net
Sun Jun 1 19:45:23 PDT 2014

I am trying to figure out which APC unit I should get for a 27 in iMAC, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 and an Airport 3 TB unit.  I cheated out their site and now I am REALLY confused.  I was at Office Max and they "sold me" a APC NS 1080 but I don't think this is an appropriate unit for a MAC.  There is no Powerchute downloads for Apple on the APC site.  We are on the Olympic Peninsula in WA state and we have a LOT of brown outs and goodie power.  My old APC unit (Backup Pro 500) served me well and is now rather old and keeps switching to battery, I think the sending switch is just old and too sensitive.  I have replaced the battery a couple of times over the years and it is tie to get a new unit.

Anyway, any thoughts as to the "correct" unit for the iMAC.  I have attached a screen capture of what APC recommends, but these seem a bit pricy.  I guess I could get the Pro 1300 for $209.99 but that is about 2X what I was expecting.  If this is what I need to do, I will, but if I can be protected for less, I could get more fishing gear!!!!!!!!! (joke,,,,,, well sort of!!!!!!!!!!!).

Thought from any of you terrific folks would be MOST appreciated.

john dach
john at mlce.net

You cannot depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Mark Twain