[X4U] "New Folder" bizarre problem

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Thu Jun 12 09:13:44 PDT 2014

*
In our Mac class yesterday, we were presented with this problem:
(We connect the mac to a digital projector so that all can see exactly what is going on.)

Ms. L.  opened her laptop.  Fairly conventional desktop and dock.  (Mavericks 10.9.3)

In the Finder>File>New Folder

Double click on the new "Untitled Folder."

The newly created folder has about ten or twelve documents, folders, etc.
On further probing, it contains all of the items in the "Desktop" file.

She was unable to create a new empty folder.

There is an item under File:  "New Folder With Selection."

If you select a few items on the desktop and then click on "New Folder With Selection" the new folder will contain the selected items.

But we were completely unable to help Ms. L.  She will probably go the Apple Store today.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

earle
*