[X4U] Can you purchase Lion or Mountain Lion in 2014

catsoul catsoul at thinkplan.org
Tue Mar 4 12:41:38 PST 2014

On Mar 4, 2014, at 12:35 PM, "John Richardson" <richards at spawar.navy.mil> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can you purchase Lion and/or Mountain Lion in 2014?
>
> Is the only option to purchase through the App store? Is it just a disk image that can be backed up? I remember something about a USB drive containing the OS for purchase.

Here's my understanding from reading online both from Apple and other sources:

Since Lion, 10.7, there are 2 methods of getting OS X: 1 download yourself, then you're left to back up the download for later use and 2. buy a USB drive with the OS X installer pre-loaded by Apple, from Apple.

I use this doo-dad for making my own bootable OS X installer:  Lion Diskmaker  Requires a USB/Flash drive of 8GB or larger. There are published techniques for doing this via Disc Utility, but I never had good luck with that method. I think MacWorld published one such how-to.

To my knowledge there is no legal avenue for purchasing an OS X install DVD from Lion foward.