[X4U] Apple Persistent State Encryption

David Ledger david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
Sat Mar 8 15:02:57 PST 2014

At 23:03 +0200 8/3/14, lazilicata at gmail.com wrote:
>Any idea what Apple Persistent State Encryption is doing on my MBP
>keychain? (I am using 10.9.2)
>
>Any idea when I would have a need to use this password?

Just a guess, but I would say 'never'. On the other hand, if you
removed it the system may be unable to decrypt something vital and
you could lose access to data, or network, or ....

>And, why would Apple get to pick the password and not me

Because only the system needs to use it. There are all sorts of
reasons why the system may need to encrypt stuff, and no need to
invent somewhere else to store keys when it has keychain.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk