[X4U] Adobe Creative Cloud

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Wed May 28 14:36:50 PDT 2014

What do you all think about Adobe's move to sell their Creative Suite in the cloud? We are a small Mac shop in the newsprint publishing business, and we have 4 workstations and have been running CS3 on OS X 10.6 and 10.7 (I've also tested CS3 on a Mavericks machine at home and the stuff we need works fine). Photoshop and Acrobat Pro are the main Adobe programs we use. Multi-Ad Creator is what we use to build ads and paginate. Our business has grown to the point where we are going to need to add an additional workstation, possibly two. The old days of grabbing last version at a blowout price as everyone upgrades to the latest and greatest CS is over, as obviously Adobe has decided the Creative Cloud is where they want their business to be. Boxed copies of CS5 & CS6 (heck even CS4) are at a premium, because they are like rare antiques now! LOL

Long term I need to consider dumping Creator and switch to an all Adobe workflow for building ads and laying out pages. That would be a major hurdle, is that I and the rest of the designers know Creator extensively, using Illustrator a little to clean up camera ready ads that really aren't, and we use InDesign not at all, so there would be some retraining issues.

Joe