[X4U] Adobe Creative Cloud

catsoul catsoul at thinkplan.org
Thu May 29 06:46:42 PDT 2014

On May 29, 2014, at 6:33 AM, catsoul <catsoul at thinkplan.org> wrote:

> However, for the many other workflows out there which are RGB-only, including some which have print as the destination, there are a handful of alternatives to Photoshop.

Also wanted to call out some Vector alternatives, too, while I'm on it.

iDraw  and Sketch - do not pretend to be Illustrator replacements in the strictest sense, but are fully capable vector tools which cover many of Illustrator's tools and even have some which Illustrator doesn't have, to my knowledge, such as allowing you to export a graphic to CSS. That is one slick trick. Both apps are clearly going after the web dev/UX/UI market, but are very capable of handling traditional computer illustration tasks, also.

Inkscape, like GIMP is open-source, and free for OS X, Linux and Windows. Aside from the lack of CMYK support, Inkscape is perhaps the most credible Illustrator replacement out there.

I'm taking several courses in front-end development at a local school, trying to boost my skill in web space, and I have been adobe-free for the past 2 quarters and not so much as one squeak of a problem as a result. Pixelmator, iDraw, Sketch, have handled my graphics needs beautifully and speedily.

While adobe has a lock on graphics (for now) I think we owe it to ourselves to have these other tools at the ready…in our toolkit, ready to go.

cat