[XDreams] OT: virus protection in the context of Windows software on Macs

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Thu Nov 9 05:57:48 PST 2006

On 9 Nov 2006, at 11:41, Lela Tong wrote:

> Also, just wondering... would the Windows world allow the entry of
> viruses into the Apple world?

It's sensible to have virus protection on your Mac. For what it's
worth, University of Brighton prefer Sophos.

Broadly speaking:

* if you run Windows on your mac, then it becomes more important to
have virus protection on your Mac.

It goes without saying that virus protection for Windows is essential.

If you think beyond the simple 'container' concept (Windows XP
contained within a window on your Mac) and opt to share items:

* from Mac OS to Windows (very neat when you know how)

* or from Windows to Mac (less graceful)

-- then virus protection on your Mac is probably essential.

So, I have:

a) Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS and
b) Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows

---

If you adopt the CrossOver (or Wine) approach to running Windows-
oriented software *without* Microsoft Windows, then there's a simple
reassuring answer to our questions about risk from Windows-oriented
viruses. See for example
<http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/01/25/1430222>
<http://www.codeweavers.com/beta/cxmac/forum/?t=1;msg=79>

> not one of our many customers has ever reported a problem with a
> virus or other nasty beast on CrossOver.

Regards
Graham