[XDreams] Projectors using Windows

W Lane wilann at telusplanet.net
Thu Nov 16 04:55:36 PST 2006

On 06-Nov-15, at 11:01 PM, Lela Tong wrote:

> I gotta get a new laptop and, I'm looking at the 13 inch MacBook.

I have one, it's great. My advice, for what it sounds like you are
going to be doing, max out the RAM and go for a larger HD.

>   I'm also getting a camcorder and digital camera since my mission
> is to liven up my presentations -- I guess that I need to check if
> I have all the 'special' cables.

For the digital camera, USB connection is fine. For the camcorder,
make CERTAIN that it has FireWire connectivity.

> Many many moons ago, I had an Apple but then, I did a switch and
> got a Sony (13.3 inch -- at the time, Sony was the closest thing to
> an Apple) since I travel in Asia (and, like a turtle, I must carry
> everything on my back) and often have to go back-and-forth between
> other people's equipment which were typically PC-based.
>
> Also, as u know, PC parts and accessories are readily available.
>
> Thus, I'm really interested in the new OS-Windows version.  The
> reps tell me that it's 'work-in-progress'

Apple's own 'Boot Camp' is at this point Beta software but will
apparently be integrated into Leopard.
> (hmmm, is there cause for worry?) -- there's the bootcamp download
> and the optional software "parallel."

Parallels, in my view, is a better option that Boot Camp in it's
present state. Boot Camp allows/forces you to pick which OS you wish
to use at startup. To switch from one to the other requires a restart
of the computer. Parallels will run multiple OS'es simultaneously. It
works VERY well.

> And, anyone's experience on working with a bunch of PC's since it's
> been awhile since I had to do it.

We all, as Mac users, 'work with a bunch of PC's', for the most part
with no problems. Having said that, I can cite instances of software
available ONLY for PC's, thereby rendering the Mac 'useless', but at
the same time can name software available only for the Mac, rendering
the PC 'useless'. On the other hand, I have never seen Apple
computers that could not play nicely with each other. I HAVE,
however, seen several instances where 'identical' PC's simply could
not read files created by each other. In several of those instances I
have acted as the 'go between'. Harkening back to the floppy days, PC
1 would save a Word document to a floppy, I would open it on my Mac
using MacLink Plus and AppleWorks (not having Word on my computer),
save it as a renamed Word document back to a new floppy (which I
formatted for PC on my Mac), provided that floppy to PC 2 and TA DA!
PC 2 was now able to read the floppy AND the document. Even today
I've still done the same thing for PC pals, the difference being that
the files no longer travel via floppy.

>   Thus, should I wait a bit longer or is it safe to get the Apple now?

It is always safe to get an Apple. Of course, there is always 'the
next upgrade' just around the corner and some folks wait forever.

Buy a Mac.