[BTM] But do you need a special ISP for connection through mobile?

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sat Jan 11 06:20:51 PST 2003

Hello Disciple1,

I'm certainly not an expert but I think Martin is right. The MSP account you
have will have to be one that allows data transfer(GPRS or HSCSD) and need
to be activated by the MSP (default is set to off as it is usually very
expensive to go online with mobiles in EU) the MSP will also need to provide
you with the details of configuration (config details either sent by sms or
otherwise) to use the Mobile phone as a modem with the mac (either thru BT,
IRDA or cable) to go online.

You of course could use the standard WAP mode to go online as well but are
limited to what is available and the mac will not be used in this mode.

AFAIK, a normal ISP can't be used with the phone due to technical reasons
(protocol and speeds).

HTH

Richard
--

disciple1 wrote the following:

> I am in Paris, I have a free ISP, who gave me a dialup number and a
> login/pass.
> My MSP is a company called SFR.
> They also offer a "connect to the internet through your mobile phone"
> option.
> I wonder if I should take that or if I can just connect through my regular
> ISP.

Martin had responded with the following: