step-by-step Bluetooth Serial Utility setup for T68 dial-up and GPRS

KOZAK Imre Oliver ki023 at hszk.bme.hu
Mon Mar 3 14:24:31 PST 2003

This is some info to set up an Ericsson T68 to connect via Bluetooth
using the serial port service of the phone.

1. Pair via Bluetooth the T68 and the Apple machine.
2. Open Applications/Utilities/Bluetooth Serial Utility (comes with the
Jaguar 10.2.4 update)
3. Click New...
4. Select Device...
5. Select Device/T68(phone's name)", select "Serial Port 1" on the
other side, click Select
    (You can press Search and Refresh Services if nothing appears)
6. Name: T68-BT-serial
    Outgoing: selected
    Show in Network Preferences: checked
    Port type: RS-232
7. Relaunch Network Preferences (to make it detect the new port)
8. Select your location
9. Show: T68-BT-serial
10. TCP/IP: enter DNS servers if necessary (any DNS server should work
if it is not too far away geographically)

GSM data dial-up
11. PPP:
     Account Name: (your dial-up login name)
     Password: (your dial-up password)
     Telephone Number: (your dial-up tel. number)
12. Modem - Ericsson Infrared

GPRS
11. PPP
     Account Name: (your APN login name)
     Password: (your APN password)
     Telephone Number: (your APN server name)
12. Modem - GPRS Generic

13. Show: Network Port Configurations
14. Uncheck all unnecessary ports
15. Click Apply now
16. Connect from Applications/Internet Connect by selecting
T68_BT-serial port

Sometimes the Dial-up Networking service also works.

The GPRS generic script can be downloaded from
http://www.xs4all.nl/~m10/gprs/GPRS4MacOS.bin (450 kbyte, instructions
included for installation)
Brand specific GPRS scripts are at http://www.taniwha.org.uk
APN login names are available at http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html

The first connection is always painless after boot. However, (probably
due to my Tungsten) I have to kill the "/usr/sbin/blued" process with
Process Wizard from http://www.lachoseinteractive.net, before I can
reconnect. In fact blued relaunces right after the kill. If I don't
kill the blued process, the connection process is stuck somewhere at
beginning. Removing the USB BT adapter after connection only causes an
RFCOMM error, and I really have to reboot to be able to connect again.

I have an Acer BT-500 bluetooth adapter, it is based on the CSR chip,
too, similarly to the D-Link DBT-120. There is a nice list at
http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/features.html

Hope these help for some,
Imi