Apple mouse & keyboard with Belkin F8T001 rev 2 bluetooth USB adapter

Stephen Jonke sjj_public at mac.com
Wed Oct 22 09:18:38 PDT 2003

I just tested out the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse with my Belkin
revision 2 F8T001 100 meter USB adapter. The short answer is that the
keyboard works pretty nicely with the exception of not being able to
wake the computer from sleep. The mouse, on the other hand, is more
problematic. After the computer is woken from sleep the keyboard will
reconnect after a few seconds - it doesn't lose any key-presses in the
mean time - they are just delayed in showing up a few seconds. The
mouse, however, only seems to reconnect when you click the mouse button
and even then sometimes it doesn't reconnect for quite a while. So, you
could use the keyboard with this Belkin adapter as long as you have
some other means to wake the computer from sleep, but don't bother with
the mouse. I find that the keyboard does work well in concert with my
Kensington PocketMouse Pro Wireless which can wake from sleep.

Still, you're probably best off using either or both the Apple wireless
keyboard and mouse only with the supported D-Link module or a Mac with
built-in bluetooth. It turns out that Apple's recent firmware update
for the D-Link and built-in bluetooth makes the devices incompatible
with Windows machines, so it seems Apple is putting some special code
in there specific to waking up Macs and thus it seems likely that the
above mentioned issues will show up with any USB bluetooth module for
which Apple has not provided a firmware update, and they have only made
one for the D-Link.

Steve